Carbon Monoxide Safety
Save this number, 800-222-1222, in your phone to get quick help from a poison expert when an accident happens with chemicals or medicine!
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that cannot be seen, smelled, or tasted. Symptoms of CO poisoning include:
Appliances and items that burn fuel may be a source of this gas
(furnaces, generators, cars, etc.). For the best way to reduce you and
your family’s risk of poisoning, place a carbon monoxide detector on
each level of your home or inside every bedroom. For questions about CO
or CO poisoning, call the NJ Poison Control at 800-222-1222 or visit
Mold is an organism that
can grow on almost every material, as long as moisture and oxygen are
available. When returning to a home that has been flooded, be aware that
mold may be present. People with asthma, allergies, or breathing
conditions may be more sensitive. When working with mold, safety precautions should be exercised to help reduce your risk of developing negative side effects!
What to Wear
Disposable Coveralls: When removing mold by scrubbing, coveralls protect clothing from absorbing/trapping loosened mold spores
Gloves: Waterproof, cut-resistant gloves for protection against cuts and chemicals
Goggles: Goggles without vents are recommended to best prevent mold spores from entering the eyes
N-100 mask: To avoid breathing dust (fungal spores) generated by building materials
Work Shoes: Footwear should be non-skid and water-resistant or water-proof
Click on this link to get to a Mold Guidelines Booklet for NJ
residents. This booklet provides information for understanding the
process of investigation and remediation of mold.
Lead is a highly toxic,
soft metal that can be found in dust, paint, soil, or plumbing in
homes/buildings built before 1978. Lead poisoning occurs when paint
chips containing lead are either eaten or breathed into the lungs.
Children ages 6 and younger exposed to lead suffer from the effects
even more so than older children or adults. Exposure can lead to
learning and developmental disabilities, decreased growth,
hyperactivity, impaired hearing, and brain damage. There is no safe
blood lead level! The CDC provides information on prevention tips, sources of lead, the at risk population, etc. Learn more about the effects lead has on humans.
If asbestos-containing materials are present in older homes and disturbed, elevated levels of airborne asbestos may occur. Some of the materials asbestos can be found in are pipe/other insulation, ceiling tiles, exterior siding, roof shingles and sprayed on-fireproofing. Typically, buildings constructed before 1970 are more likely to contain asbestos. Airborne asbestos can cause lung cancer, specifically mesothelioma, a cancer of the chest and abdominal linings. To learn more about asbestos and its negative health effects, visit the EPA.
Home Sewage/Septic Systems
flooding of septic systems can be a hazardous situation for homeowners.
During heavy rains and floods, the ground becomes saturated, preventing
the proper operation of your sewage/septic system. This may lead to a
backup of sewage inside of the home and contaminated drinking water. The
CDC provides useful information on what you should do before, during and after an emergency. Another useful website is the EPA.
Rats and mice are
destructive pests that can spread disease, contaminate food, and destroy
property. They are responsible for spreading over 35 different diseases
to humans and other animals. In the wake of a disaster, the number of
rats and mice are often reduced. The surviving rodents often relocate to
new areas in search of food, water, and shelter making it important to
properly inspect and protect your house against their entry.